The first practical pneumatic tires were made by John Boyd Dunlop in Ireland. The progress of tires to its current state is hinged on various engineering advances especially the vulcanization of rubber by Charles Goodyear in the US.
In 2015, about 170 million tires were manufactured. The Goodyear tire company remains in the top three tire manufacturing companies in the world. Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company manufactures tires for SUV’s, cars, airplanes, automobiles, farm equipment, motorcycles, and race cars. One should always compare tires of different brands before picking one for their car. But before you go into selecting Goodyear Tires, why not look at some of the interesting facts about the company!
Here are some of the interesting facts about top tire manufacturing company:
- One of the most recognized and famous advertising icons in the country today, Goodyear Blimp. The first blimp flew in 1925
- Goodyear tires are one of the most successful tire suppliers in the Formula One history
- Currently, Goodyear is the sole supplier for the NASCAR series.
- When the first factory opened in 1888, along with manufacturing bicycle tires, rubber horse pads and poker chips were also manufactured.
- Goodyear tires are the pioneers for ‘tundra tires’ – a low inflation pressure air wheel for smaller aircrafts.
- In July 2008 Goodyear was recognized as one of Americas most trusted companies by Forbes magazine.
- The company also manufactures and sells other rubber products like hoses and belts, and synthetic rubber chemicals for the transportation industry.
- Goodyear tires operates 30 plants in the US and 60 plants across 27 countries.
- During World War 1, Goodyear tires made 1000 balloons and 60 airships. It also provided many tires used on aircrafts.
- In 1928 the Goodyear air dock was the world’s largest building without internal supports; it was erected to build two huge dirigibles for the US Navy.