Itchy, scaly and irritated – That is how a dry skin feels. Dry skin moisturizers are generally cream-based and have a thicker consistency. The best skin moisturizers not only hydrate the skin but also draw moisture from the environment, allow it to seep into the dermis, hold it there and act as a protective barrier against the aggressors such as pollution. The crucial factor while choosing the best moisturizer for dry skin or any other product for that matter should be that it is formulated using good quality ingredients and works well for your specific skin concern. Research supports both of the following:
- Use of moisturizer on a daily basis to be effective in combating the issues related to dry skin
- Use of moisturizer with specific ingredients in doing so
Go for a dry skin moisturizer that contains at least some of the following ingredients:
- Hyaluronic acid
- Plant oils
- Salicylic acid
The beauty market is choc-a-bloc with moisturizers. So how do you get around to one that works for you? Keep reading to know about the best moisturizer for dry skin.
- Andalou Naturals Purple Carrot +C Luminous Night Cream: An easy absorbent formulation, it works overnight to renew your complexion. It is designed to revitalize the surface skin cells to reveal newer and softer looking skin.
- Nivea Soft Moisturizing Crème: Without being greasy, this cream has a rich texture so that it is absorbed easily into the skin. It contains vitamin E and Jojoba oil.
- The Body Shop Oils of Life Revitalizing Sleeping Cream: This is a nightly application that gives a boost to the skin. This cream hydrates the skin and leaves it light and fluid.
- Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Deep Moisture Balm: If the skin feels overly dry especially in harsher climates, then this is the nourishment which your skin needs. This cream lets the skin breathe even with its thick consistency.
- Eucerin Dry Skin Replenishing Cream: Just like its name, this cream hydrates, restores, and replenishes the dry skin. It was found to be especially effective in case of problem skin.
- Avene Hydrance Optimale Riche Hydrating Cream: This is a popular beauty product to lock in the moisture and hydrate the skin. It is soothing enough to condition and rebalance the skin.
- St.Ives Timeless Skin Facial Moisturizer: It delivers what it promises. Having collagen, elastins, and safflower seed oil as the key ingredients, it works both as a day and night time dry skin moisturizer.
- CeraVe Moisturizing Cream: Ceramides are the wonder ingredients that help the skin to retain moisture and protect it from environmental blues. It was found to be beneficial for skin problems like psoriasis, eczema.
Once you have finalized on the best skin moisturizer after much trials and errors, you must follow certain moisturizing tips:
- Apply moisturizer when the skin is still damp from shower or wash.
- Use products that are free of fragrances and dyes, if you have sensitive or dry skin.
- Do a patch test before using a new product.
- Avoid extra hot water for shower or wash to reduce dryness.
- Stay hydrated by drinking 8-ounces of water a day and eat a healthy diet full of greens and fruits.
- Moisturize at least twice a day. Do it more often when the skin feels extra dry.
- Add a protection of facial serum under the dry skin moisturizer for added benefits.
- Exfoliate with a gentle non-abrasive cleanser before applying moisturizer to remove dead cells and for the moisturizer to seep into the skin.