Getting admission into a nursing school can be a tedious process, because, every other nursing school has different application materials, which can be very extensive. Nursing programs are known to be very competitive. You can improve your chances of acceptance with proper guidance, preparation, and planning. Here is a step by step process that will help you get into a nursing school of your choice.
- Before applying for a course in a nursing school, you should be a graduate from high school. Having good grades and high GPA will help you get top nursing schools. You should particularly be having good grades in science coursework.
- Decide which course you want to take under nursing. You can opt for an ADN course which is an associate degree or a baccalaureate BSN degree. The latter program is more competitive and has tougher admission standards.
- Although optional, you can work part-time in a health care service. This will give you decide easier which nursing course is right for you. Secondly, you can put this experience in your resume which helps you get even better nursing schools.
- Once you have shortlisted a handful of nursing schools, look for their accreditation. The school you choose should be accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). Apart from this, the school should be approved by a state board of nursing.
- Take necessary admission assessments. The Health Education Systems Incorporated (HESI) and Test of Essential Academic Skills are the most common tests that will help schools decide if you will do well.
- Based on your score, if you qualify, you will be requested for official transcripts of any and all colleges that you have attended in the past. It depends on the nursing schools if they tell you to submit it over the counter or upload soft copies on their official websites, or both.
- Complete your application by writing an essay (if required). Some schools consider this important as this will help them check if you have a good understanding of the reality of nursing. Nursing Centralized Application Service (NCAS) allows you to apply to multiple schools using a single application. Make sure that the nursing school you are applying to uses the NCAS system.