Shingles are nothing, but a band or a strip of painful rashes that tend to develop on one side of the body or the face. These rashes are in the form of painful blisters, which ooze out the liquid when busted. The virus that causes shingles is varicella zoster, which is the same one that causes chicken pox. It is extremely important to identify shingles at an early stage so that it can be cured with effective shingles medication.
Causes of shingles
In the case of shingles, knowing the cause allows in deriving some proper plans of treatments for shingles. The cause of multiplication of the varicella zoster is not properly known, but research reveals the following:
- Anyone with a damaged immune system can have shingles.
- Affected individuals with some types of cancers or HIV can have shingles.
- Psychological stress and emotional trauma can cause shingles.
The correct and timely shingles medication is vital for the treatment of the disease.
Symptoms of shingles
The shingles treatments vary according to the signs and symptoms of the ailment. There are various signs which indicate shingles, but some noted symptoms of shingles are as mentioned below.
- A sensation of numbness associated with pain and itching on a single side of the body
- The appearance of rashes
- The emergence of some red-colored blotches that develop into blisters, which are filled with fluid and associated with a lot of itching
- Inflammation of the soft tissue around the rash or under it
Treatment of shingles
Currently, there is no shingles medication which effectively eliminates the virus from the body. The shingles treatments involve the steps that help in the easing of the symptoms, thereby resulting in the cure of the disease.
- The rashes should be kept clean and dry for prevention of further infection.
- Loose fitting clothes should be worn to feel more comfortable.
- Application of calamine lotion can reduce the itching.
- Appropriate shingles medicine, which is generally painkillers or antihistamines, may be taken as per the recommendation of the doctors.