Atopic dermatitis (AD) is a common skin condition that is seen in both children and adults. It causes redness, itchiness, swelling and cracking of the skin. The most common symptom of the disease is dryness of the skin. This can be controlled by regular use of moisturizers. Atopic dermatitis treatment may not cure the disease, but you can control the symptoms to some extent by following a good skin care routine and various other home treatments.
Moisturizers used for atopic dermatitis treatment can be classified into three types, namely the following:
- Lotions: Lotions are a mixture of oil and water. But the water evaporates very quickly after application. Hence, lotions are not suggested for atopic dermatitis treatment.
- Creams: Creams are also a mixture of oil and water or another liquid. But the oil content in creams is higher than that in lotions. Hence, creams work better in hydrating the skin. But creams may contain stabilizers or preservatives that prevent them from separating from their main ingredients. This may cause skin irritation or even allergic reactions in some people. So it is important to get your doctor’s advice regarding viable creams for atopic dermatitis treatment.
- Ointments: Ointments are semi-solid greases thicker than lotions or creams. This is because they have minimal water content and very high oil content. Petroleum jelly is the most commonly used ointment. It has zero water content and no additional ingredients. Some ointments contain a small proportion of water or other ingredients, which makes them easy to spread on the skin. Ointments are considered to be the best option for atopic dermatitis treatment.
Some of the most popular products for atopic dermatitis treatment are listed below:
- Aquaphor Advanced Therapy Healing Ointment
- Aveeno Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream
- Eucerin Eczema Relief Body Cream
- CeraVe Eczema Soothing Body Wash
- SheaMoisture African Bath Soap Eczema and Psoriasis Therapy
- First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Lotion
- Neosporin Eczema Essentials Daily Moisturizing Cream
Atopic dermatitis can definitely be an uncomfortable and even painful condition. But treatment options can provide a lot of relief from the symptoms.