The taxpayers often require the assistance of a tax lawyer to help them solve their Internal Revenue Service (IRS) queries and to help them file tax returns. The best tax lawyers handle complex, technical, and legal issues associated with a tax situation.
You need a tax lawyer if:
- You are planning to start a business and need a business a legal counsel to know about the tax structure of your business.
- You own a taxable estate, you might require complex estate planning strategies and a need to file an estate tax return.
- You are engaging in international business and need assistance with tax treatment and contracts related to the business.
- You have been summoned by the IRS for criminal investigation, or if you are planning to file a suit against the IRS and plan on seeking an independent review of your case before the tax court.
- You are planning to seek advantage of tax credits.
Finding the best professional tax lawyer
- When looking for a tax lawyer, prioritize those who specialize in IRS issues, as they are well versed with the inner workings of the IRS. Their experience of daily interactions with the IRS officials about various tax practice gives them an edge, as they have detailed insight on various tax issues handling.
- The tax lawyer you are intending to hire ought to be licensed to practice law at state’s bar council and at least have a master’s degree in law. If your case is particularly complex, think about hiring a tax lawyer who is also a certified public accountant.
- Organizations such as the National Association of Tax and Tax Law Association have public lists of tax lawyers who are registered under their organization. These organizations have websites where they have a directory of certified tax lawyers.
- Even if you find a seemingly reliable tax lawyer on these websites, do not forget to scrutinize them further through customer review websites before letting them handle your tax-related case and queries.
Trusting a lawyer with your tax case can be overwhelming and nerve wrecking at times. Make sure you build trust and confidence in your counsel by looking for tax lawyers based on the above-mentioned qualities.