Oral health is an important factor that also affects our well-being and overall health. Cavities and gum diseases may often lead to serious medical conditions like diabetes and respiratory ailments. Apart from the fact that they affect the overall health of a person, cavities and gum diseases can also be painful and inconvenient.
Here are some of the common causes of gum disease and effective remedies:
- Plaque: Plaque, which is a colorless sticky film, is a very common cause of gum diseases. Bacteria in plaque get accumulated on and around the teeth and form tartar and cannot be removed by just brushing. Your dentist can perform simple cleanup procedures to remove plaque.
- Medications: The American Dental Association lists blood-thinning medications as a cause of swollen gums and bleeding gums. However, various other medicines can cause gum diseases as well. Ask your dentist for more information.
- Changing Flossing Routines: Frequent flossing and changing flossing routines can cause bleeding gums. Suppose if you weren’t flossing recently and had started flossing on a frequent basis, it can cause bleeding gums and other related gum diseases.
- Nutritional Deficiencies: A diet that is rich in carbohydrates and sugar but contains less vitamin C and water is the perfect recipe for gum diseases. One of the best gum disease remedies for this problem is to have a balanced diet.
- Hormonal Shifts: Another cause of gum diseases are hormonal changes during pregnancy. However, gum disease remedies include taking special care of your oral health when you are expecting a baby.
- Smoking: Smoking not only affects your lungs and other internal organs, it can cause severe harm to the normal functioning of the gum tissue cells, making the gums more vulnerable to diseases.
- Family History: Another reason for gum problems may be your genetic history. Your dentist can recommend proper gum disease remedies in such cases.
- Apart from these factors, one should always be aware of any minute gum diseases as well. Make sure to take effective gum disease remedies such as rinsing the mouth with mouthwash to treat gingivitis, consuming green tea can help in treating the inflammation in the gums, etc.
The causes of gum diseases are many ranging from improper hygiene to various other medical conditions. However, home gum disease remedies can heal gums most of the times. But before treating, it is essential to know the cause of the problem and consult a dentist.