Uric acid levels are one of the many factors that determine an individual’s overall health and well being. Maintaining lower uric acid levels is crucial to avoid conditions such as uric acid stones. An easy way of maintaining your uric acid levels is doing regular checkups at home. The steps for checking uric acid levels at home (with a testing kit) are listed below:
- Acquire a sample of your blood. The tip of your finger is pricked with the lancet available in the testing kit so that around half a dozen microliters of blood can be obtained. Naturally, the exact amount is not easy to ascertain, but it’s no more than a tiny drop.
- The strip (for testing) is slid into place while the blood is brought near the required region on the edge of the strip. The testing machine will alert the user with a signal when enough blood has been gathered for testing. Be sure not to introduce an excess of blood to the strip, as it may give inaccurate results. This testing strip cannot be used more than once.
- Most of these testing kits have bars of timing that flash across the screen. These bars help notify the user that the testing of uric acid levels is going on.
- In close to 30 seconds or so, the uric acid level will be displayed on the screen. This will help the user know if he or she has been able to maintain lower uric acid levels.
- The regular testing kits store no more than 20 such readings. However, someone who has a kit at home for this very purpose is obviously going to take a lot more of these tests. For people with high levels of uric acid, it is a good idea to maintain a record by keeping a log of uric acid levels. This will motivate them to target for lower uric acid levels.
Checking uric acid levels at home is easy. So what are you waiting for? Take the first step toward achieving lower uric acid levels today!