Most people are not familiar with the term melanoma. It is a type of skin cancer where pigment-producing cells within our body become cancerous. One might notice the growth of unusual moles in their body in such cases. There are various melanoma treatments available but are unknown to many.
Here are five ways that help in reducing the risk of melanoma.
- Avoid extreme sun exposure: Melanoma treatments often require people to avoid going out during peak scorching heat hours. Try to schedule your meetings or other outings at a time when sun rays are not at their strongest. UV rays from the sun may cause damage to your skin cells and increase the chances of skin cancer. Excessive exposure to sun’s intense rays also makes your skin more prone to sunburns and sun tans.
- Use sunscreen: Though sunscreens don’t filter out all the harmful UV rays from the sun, they do manage to protect your skin to a large extent. Use sunscreens that have a minimum SPF of 15. The American Academy of Dermatology prescribes the use of waterproof broad-spectrum sunscreen having a minimum SPF of 30. The more sunscreen you apply, the more your skin will be protected, hence reducing the risk of melanoma.
- Cover yourself: Melanoma treatments also suggest covering yourself up as much as you can. Before going out in the scorching heat, make sure you cover your hands, apply sunscreen on your face, and wear full-length trousers so that your skin is least exposed to the harmful UV rays of the sun.
- Avoid use of tanning beds: Indoor tanning is caused by tanning devices that emit ultraviolet radiation and increases the risk of skin cancer. Indoor tanning can increase the possibility of melanoma by 75%. Hence it is strongly recommended to stop usage of tanning beds.
- Know your skin: It is essential that you become familiar with your skin and keep a regular check on it. If you notice any unusual symptom, it is better to consult a dermatologist at the earliest.
Apart from the above measures, there are some natural melanoma treatments, which you can explore to reduce the risk of melanoma.