If you are tensed about the rising cholesterol levels then know about the implications of the same and how to lower LDL cholesterol. Cholesterol is a fat-like substance and comprises both HDL (high-density lipoproteins) and LDL (low-density lipoproteins). While HDL is good for you as it eats up cholesterol and carries it to the liver for excretion, LDL can be extremely harmful. It is necessary to lower LDL cholesterol as it can clog the arteries and blood vessels. Too much clogging can restrict the flow of blood to the heart causing heart attack, stroke or heart failure.
How is the risk of a heart attack estimated?
High LDL cholesterol is not the sole reason behind a heart attack. Here are some of the factors that add to heart-related issue:
- Blood pressure and whether one takes any medicine for the same
- Whether one smokes
- History of heart ailments in the family
After considering all these factors, the doctor will guide one in the best possible way to reduce cholesterol levels safely.
How to lower LDL cholesterol?
To reduce bad cholesterol, it is not enough to only depend on medicines. One must make some positive lifestyle changes. Here are a few tips:
- Eat healthy – Consume foods like oats, barley, whole grains, all kinds of beans, walnuts, almonds, peanuts, eggplant, okra, lemons, oranges, apples, grapes, and strawberries. Try and use olive oil for cooking and salads. Fatty fishes like salmon, sardines, and mackerel are also good for you.
- Avoid saturated fats – Stay away from foods like sugary drinks, cakes, pastries, cookies, red meat or processed meat, coconut and palm oils, butter, lard, cocoa butter and fried food. Try to avoid whole fat milk, cream, and cheese. These are high in LDL cholesterol.
- Start exercising – Running, fast jogging, and cycling can increase the HDL level in your blood and help in lowering LDL cholesterol. It forces the LDL to travel to the liver, from where it is excreted or used for digestion. Exercising will prevent you from gaining weight as well.
So, get the cholesterol levels tested and consult the doctor to lead a healthy and active life.