Hepatitis is the medical term that is used to refer to the inflammation of the liver. The hepatitis C virus that causes the inflammation of the liver can result in various other diseases of the liver including liver cancer. The disease is transmitted through blood and is the most common blood transmitted disease in the United States of America. Here is a quick hep C guide that can help with the aid you get a fair idea about the disease.
Causes of Hepatitis C
Getting to know the reasons for any disease is the best way of preventing or treating it. If you do not have a proper understanding of illness, you should try referring to a good hep C guide. The guide can help you with the causes and treatment options for hepatitis C. Let us start with how the disease transmits – the virus of hepatitis C spreads through blood and here are some carriers that may be responsible for carrying the virus of the disease.
• Sharing of needles
• Using of instruments that are not sterile for body piercing and tattooing.
• Organ transplantation from a hep C virus infected donor.
• Blood transfusion from an infected donor.
• The sharing of personal care items like razors, toothbrushes, nail cutters, scissors, etc. with an infected person.
• Engaging in high – risk sexual activity like having multiple partners or having unprotected sex with an infected person might cause hep C as well.
Treatment of Hepatitis C
The treatment procedures of Hepatitis C have changed a lot in the recent times, and due to the advanced medical facilities available, the disease can be completely cured. Several effective medicines are available which are used in the treatment of acute cases. The pegylated interferon and ribavirin are the most common medication used to stop the virus from multiplying and aiding the immune system in fighting the infection. In some severe cases, a liver transplant can also be used for treating the patients.
Going through the above-mentioned hepatitis C guide, you can be clear of all the precautions that need to be taken to avoid being infected. In case, one is infected and notices any symptoms of the disease; it is best to seek immediate medical help.